RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Test Taking Skills: Time Management

Question:

Hi Sean, I am a foreign graduate (French) and I am taking the NY bar for the 4th time this coming July and I have been paining with the MBE. I did ok so far on the NY portion but can't still not manage to handle the MBE. Is the bilingual an issue or I am just not memorizing the 6 topics well? What tips to use in order to pass this time? I even left my family behind and I am renting a room in the middle of nowhere in NJ now just focus on the exam. Any help please? Thanks Delphine

Response:

Repetition, Repetition, Repetition.


What I mean by that is that you need to read, re-read, re-read, and re-read again the outlines. I found it very helpful to read an outline (let's say Contracts, for example), and then do about 50 Contracts questions. Then re-read the outline again. You'll notice fine points in the outline that you didn't notice on previous readings because the questions will have clued you in to certain points of which you didn't notice prior to doing the questions. The key to doing well on the exam is finding the balance between memorizing the law, and practicing applying the law to questions. When a person focuses on one of those to the detriment of the other, I feel as though their studying could be improved.

Do hundreds of questions in each subject, and order the released exams off the NCBE website. Know the law inside and out, and understand how it's been tested in the past, because that is exactly how it will be tested again on your exam.

It's hard work, the last thing you need is to get hung up on prior attempts. Forget the past, hit the books hard, and put this test behind you.

Best,

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment